Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT? Why do fans always start out on high?

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 01:11:54 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Why do the vast majority of variable speed fans start out on high?

Because on low they may not have enough torque to start, particularly as they
age.

Just about every fan I've used that has 3 speeds - window, ceiling, floor,
etc. - all go from Off to High to Medium to Slow.

The other day I had the chance to use a fan with a infinitely variable knob
and it too started on high and slowed down as the knob was turned.

As far as I know, only my vehicle fans start slow and get faster as the
control is turned.

DC motors have more torque at low RPM.

It is easier to build the electronics that way or do manufacturers just
assume that we all will use our fans on high most of the time, except in
our cars?

That could be too.