Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default OT? Why do fans always start out on high?

"Bob F" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
Why do the vast majority of variable speed fans start out on high?

Just about every fan I've used that has 3 speeds - window, ceiling,
floor, etc. - all go from Off to High to Medium to Slow.

The other day I had the chance to use a fan with a infinitely
variable knob and it too started on high and slowed down as the knob
was turned.

As far as I know, only my vehicle fans start slow and get faster as
the control is turned.

It is easier to build the electronics that way or do manufacturers
just assume that we all will use our fans on high most of the time,
except in our cars?

Maybe the fan is so cheap you can't count on it starting turrning in low speed.

Every fan I use starts out slower when first turned on, but as it heats up
goes faster. I'm fully aware of that fact, are others ? Besides, if went to
turn off a fan, you might miss off and use low, and not know it.

Greg