Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tom Del Rosso[_4_] Tom Del Rosso[_4_] is offline

Default PC PSU shutdown condition with bad mobo caps

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 01:18:15 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

So it sees increased ripple voltage and
not just ripple current.

Sorta. If any part of the noise or ripple on any of the power supply
lines goes below the defined threshold, the power good line will drop.
http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5CATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf
See Fig 7 on Pg 25 and 3.3.1 on Pg 26.

I don't see any mention of current so it isn't 'sorta' triggered by ripple
voltage.

That means the PSU caps are overwhelmed and might
suffer some damage too.

Nope. There's quite a bit of DC resistance between the power supply
and the ripple source, which is the CPU.

That would matter if the supply had sense lines, but PC supplies don't. The
voltage is sensed at the supply's output.

But I understand you to mean that although the caps in the PSU are working
harder, the discharge is small enough that they won't be heated unless they
were defective as well.

zero, and remove the last word.