Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Decking Material: TREX, Or ?

On Jul 28, 6:55*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 07:04:45 -0400, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Live in New England.
Lots of snow and cold in winter.

Will be going for a new Deck (uncovered) and will most likely specify
TREX. But not 100% sure yet.

But was wondering:

What would be a second and third material possibility similar to TREX in
quality and cost that it might be good to also look at as possibilities ?

Pros and cons ?

Thanks,
B.

We recently has some discussion about decking. There are some other
brands that are equal or better than Trex. *Azec, Timbertech come to
mind. *Visit a local lumber yard to see what they have. Most carry
some of the better brands. *If all you do is visit HD and Lowes, you
never know what else is available in the world.

Composites are not completely maintenance free and some have had
mildew problems.

I went with real wood. I used Tiger Wood fromwww.advantagelumber.com
IT should last a minimum of 25 years if I do nothing, 50 if I put some
oil once in a while.

I'm in New England also.- Hide quoted text -

I chose TREX for my deck several years ago, absolutely wonderful.. I
pressure wash it one a year to get the dirt off from where all the
flower pots sit and shed excess dirt when overwatered.