Posted to alt.home.repair

Default park bench for my yard

On Jul 28, 9:29*am, micky wrote:
I wanted to get a two-seat park bench for my yard, but I don't want
the legs to sink into the ground, and I want it to last a long time.

1) I don't have patio space to put it and don't want to make more, so
I want to put it right on the grass or in the bush/ivy bed. *In either
place won't it sink fairly quickly (an inch or two a year) into the
dirt?

How about if I put a brick under each leg? * *Do they make bricks with
square cut-outs, like 1/2" deep, that might keep the leg from
wandering until it falls off the brick? * If they don't, could I
chisel out a piece of the brick myself to have this? * It would also
keep the whole bench from moving.

2) * IIRC only ACE Hardware had benches to try out. * If you want to
look:http://www.acehardware.com/search/in...=park%20bench&...
especially, which I would buy if I knew how long it would last, and I
could keep it from sinking:http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...uctId=12602648
Interesting, fwiw,, more expensive on ebay than at Ace Hardware. I
like Ace Hardwahttp://www.ebay.com/itm/LIVING-ACCEN...N-HARDWOOD-VIV...

*Some were more comfortable than others and all of theirs were more
comfortable than some I've sat on. The seat curves down a little at
the front. * But they don't say much about the wood slats, except that
they are hardwood, or how long they will last if left out all year
long in Baltimore, which can have a warm day in any month (plus one
never see park benches in real parks covered for the winter) ..

Must I buy an all-metal bench? *Most are not as comfortable. *Should I
make my own somehow out of treated 2x4's, that will weigh a ton?

And oh yeah, I don't want to spend more than 200 dollars, although
maybe I would, but surely not the 700 I've seen for some.

Thanks a lot.

Micky

FTR, fromhttp://www.dcamerica.net/faq.htm
11. What does my warranty NOT cover?
Q: Storm damage and damage from exposure to the elements is not
covered by our exclusive warranty. *Please use caution to safeguard
your furniture from harsh elements and inclement weather."

And t his elusive FAQ:
14. *What can I do to protect my furniture and make it last longer?
Q: *With proper care and maintenance, your product should give you
years of enjoyment.

A brick under each leg should spread the weight nicely. Keep the wood
finished, recoat every year rather than waiting for signs of damage
and then recoating.