Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default Using headset as cell phone radio antenna.

In article , NONONOmisc07
@bigfoot.com says...

The station does come in well on my Sandisk Clip, a little MP3 player
about 1.5" almost square, but I've mislaid that.

The earphones I use for FM are the same ones I use on my Sandisk Sansa
MP3 player but they're Skull Candy, not the original Sandisk set

It should be 300,000,000 / 88,100,000 meters long? Or half that?
About 4 feet? Or 1/4 of the first number, 2 feet? I"ve never heard
of 1/8th wave, but maybe that works too? 1 foot?

It is (300/90)/4 metres. 300/90 = 3.33m (full wave)
Quarter wave is 3.33/4 = 83.33cm.

Antenna length is 95% of that - 79.16cm if you want to be accurate!
Or 31.17 inches.

For 88MHz, the length is 1.8cm/0.7in longer.

FM aerials are usually cut for the centre of the band (98MHz).
Corresponding lengths are 72.7cm/28.6in

However, this is all rather academic as these calculations are for a
whip in free space - not in close proximity to a human body!

For what it's worth, my 'phones are 1.22m/4 feet long ...

--

Terry