Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor[_2_] Pete Keillor[_2_] is offline

Default Removing stuck ss screw from aluminum

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 07:49:19 -0600, "CNC Solutions"
wrote:

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
.. .

snip
Am I missing any good tricks? I remember something about dissolving
steel and leaving the aluminum for broken taps with alum, but will it
work on stainless? Thanks.

Pete Keillor

Trick I have used to remove broken exhaust studs from aluminum cylinder
heads is to weld a nut to the broken stud. It takes a few tries, the heat
from welding helps loosen the stud. If you can weld inside a stainless nut
to the broken bolt, use a socket on it when it cools to a dull cherry color.
the welding does not stick to the aluminum. Last time I did that I was on a
stud with a broken easyout in it. Patience is the key. Luck and good beer
helps.
Darcy

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind as a last resort. I'd have to get a
bottle of argon (need anyway) and practice my tig technique first.
I've munged the threads, but that's no problem since I'd be welding
the nut on. Press one on with the arbor press, hit it with the tig.

Pete