Hylourgos

Default Drill press sanding drums

I second John's suggestions. If it's a quick and dirty cheap project,
then go for it, but get your drums from HF (on sale right now for $5:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47032)--that'll
match the quality of your dp. Otherwise, you're putting a fuel
injector on a Yugo.

If it's something you care about then try to get an OSS like the Ryobi
for $80 or so.

H.

"John" wrote in message ...
I'm not sure how well your setup will spin the 3 incher. I had one in a big
old sears drill press and it worked ok. I know you said on the cheap but I
got one of those ryobi oscilating spindle sanders for under $80 a while ago
and like it much better than the drill press setup. Here is a link to the
ryobi page:

http://www.ryobitools.com/product/pr...at=4&toolcat=2

My HD seems to be closing out there older ryobi floor models right now so
you may be able to score one cheap....JD

"nbaxley" wrote in message
m...
I need to do some drum sanding for a project I've got going. I need
to do it on the cheap though, so I don't have the money for a full
drum sander. I'm looking at getting a sleeveless sanding drum for my
drill press, buy I want to make sure that I've got enought power to
turn a 3" tall drum. The other problem is that my "drill press" is a
regular corded drill in a "press holder" that holds the drill and
raises and lowers it. I'm also wondering how wide around to get the
drum. I assume that the larger drum will wear out less, but I can
imagine it will take more power to turn. Here are the drums that I'm
looking at.

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/... PRID=Frgl258

Any thoughts?

Thanks,