Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave in Texas Dave in Texas is offline

Default Dark ages of architecture

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...

--------------------------------------
Last of the "Full Brick" construction (Concrete block inner, brick
outer) was built in the late '40's.

After that, "Brick Veneer" construction (Frame inner, brick outer) was
the standard offering.

This would have been the NE Ohio market.

My wife and her sister came into this house [
http://www.pbase.com/speedracer/image/79076095 ] about 30 miles from San
Antonio in 2002 and we soon bought her sister's half. It was built after
WWII and prior to 1950. Exterior walls are a hollow yellow clay tile block
with a full brick veneer; wall thickness is ~8-3/4 inches. At all the
window openings the interior side of the wall tile blocks are wider by four
or five inches a side to allow for the rope and pulley window weights.
Replacing the 35 X 36 kitchen window required the 'brick-to-brick'
measurement to fit the new unit between the brick and then boxing in and
reconfiguring the interior trim. Otherwise, you'd be looking a four of five
inches of the backside of the brick veneer.
There is a centered, load-bearing stud wall [front-to-back] and a
handful of partition walls that connect with the exterior walls and
everywhere there is contact between the two has seen drywall tape come
undone. I've done away with the tape altogether. Thankfully, there is
Liquid Nails or, I theorize, Loc-tite adhesive since I can get away without
sealing the color down prior to painting. I'm guessing the rate of
expansion/contraction eventually pulls the two walls apart. The Liquid
Nails fix has shown new cracks where the central, load-bearing wall meets
the exterior walls at both ends - front and back. So far [three years down
the road] the cross-walls are holding in the corners. Several years of
drought conditions, I believe, are a contributing factor. I wish I knew
what kind of footing(s) those walls are sitting on.

Dave in Texas