Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall[_2_] Adrian Brentnall[_2_] is offline

Default Sealing lead came...

On 28/07/2012 08:18, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Adrian Brentnall
writes
On 28/07/2012 00:01, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Adrian Brentnall
writes
On 27/07/2012 20:30, John Rumm wrote:
A mate of mine has original crittal windows (1930's metal frame
single
glazed) with real lead lite Georgian style panes. Recently in some of
the driving torrential downpours, it has started leaking apparently
through the pane joints.

Is there a recommended / easy way to restore a seal to these?

HI John
If they're really 'real' leaded panes then the proper way to fix them
would be to dismantle them & re-make them.

However - that's a lot of work.

A 'quick & dirty' (but surprisingly effective) solution, where time,
budget etc doesn't allow the 'proper' solution is this stuff

http://www.captaintolley.com/

which is a very thin crack-seeking sealant, that will find its way
into the existing putty and, once set, will form an effective seal...

It'll probably need several applications, until no more is absorbed.

I've used this on church windows, where sections have been repaired /
replaced, but there's no budget to replace the whole window.

Would wood hardener be any good as the creeping sealant?

HI Ian
The Ronseal stuff ?
Might do - but the Captain Tolleys is designed to be very 'thin' and
wick into any gaps it finds.

The other things I forgot to say were
- beg/steal/borrow a small syringe with a non-pointed needle, and use
that to get the product where it needs to be

At last I've found an application for all those syringes I've amassed
from all the printer ink refill kits I've bought!

Ideal!
Can't remember what the solvent is for the Captain's stuff - but you'll
want to wash the syringes out between applications as otherwise they'll
seal solid!

- expect to make two or three repeated applications
- wipe off the stuff immediately if / when it goes where it shouldn't,
as it can cause staining of the lead and the glass

Much easier if you can get the offending panels out and flat... but
still do-able of you can't...

As Andy says, it's not as good a solution as doing it the 'proper' way -
but it's still effective...

I've always been a perfectionist, which has meant that there have been
many DIY jobs that I have 'never got around to', because I knew they
would take too long.

Yes - I know what you mean

However, in later life, I have eventually learned that a well-planned
and well-executed 'kludge' (if that's the word) is often more than
satisfactory, and will probably more than see me out.

Amen!
Take it gently with the Tolleys and you'll be fine.
The bottle comes with an applicator nozzle - but it's far too 'fast' for
your application & you'll end up with it everywhere!

Good luck
Adrian