Chipper Wood

Default Drill press sanding drums

A word of warning. Hand drill main shafts are geared and run on a single row
ball bearing. Not designed for side pressure, The main shaft with side
pressure will tilt slightly at an angle to the plane of the gearing and
cause accelerated gear wear. Depending upon the clearances in the bearing.
Even if it is a sleeved bushing, you will definitely shorten the life of
your hand drill.
--
Chipper Wood

useours, yours won't work

"nbaxley" wrote in message
m...
I need to do some drum sanding for a project I've got going. I need
to do it on the cheap though, so I don't have the money for a full
drum sander. I'm looking at getting a sleeveless sanding drum for my
drill press, buy I want to make sure that I've got enought power to
turn a 3" tall drum. The other problem is that my "drill press" is a
regular corded drill in a "press holder" that holds the drill and
raises and lowers it. I'm also wondering how wide around to get the
drum. I assume that the larger drum will wear out less, but I can
imagine it will take more power to turn. Here are the drums that I'm
looking at.

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/... PRID=Frgl258

Any thoughts?

Thanks,