Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default So let the rains come down...

On 7/27/2012 2:52 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Oren wrote:

How high above a roof does the state own the water? If rain falls 10'
above my roof, in my yard, I think it is mine. I've read property
owners do not own air space of their home into infinity.

Below 10'? This man is keeping water for fire protection, right?

Typical state Real Property Law says you own everything above your property,
to a reasonable extent and everything below the surface, again to a
reasonable extent. The legal concept of "capture" further says you own
anything that wanders into your land (such as deer), again subject to
reasonable restrictions.

in many states, land owners don't own any mineral rights under their land.