Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Dark ages of architecture

Swingman wrote in
:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:47:43 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

Out of curiosity, do any of you know of a builder who's actually
building brick houses today? For the young'uns among you I'm
talking of double wall brick with *no* wooden frame involved.

How long ago was that????

I lived in three of them in my life. Built in 1898, 1948, 1950. All
are still in excellent condition. It was a very popular form of
construction when I lived in Philadelphia but it did give way to
frame and veneer. Mostly a cost and insulation issue.

St Louis is full of them. I've never seen so many bricks in my life
... close your eyes at night and you see bricks on the backs of your
eyelids.

Google "prinsengracht amsterdam" Go to streetview anywhere on the map.
Brick, pure brick ...

--
Best regards
Han