Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd Todd is offline

Default Need help with replacement swamp cooler pump

On 07/26/2012 05:08 PM, gregz wrote:
It's also known as an "Evaporative Cooler". Basically, it's a humungo
low-speed fan that blows air through a wet pad. Evaporation removes heat from
the air, trading temperature for humidity. If the relative humidity is very
low, it works quite well. If the RH is even approaching 50%, forget it. They
work great in the desert, not so much in the SE.

I never smelled bad odors from them in the desert. They actually made the
air interesting. After a rain, the desert comes alive with smell. A little
sweetness to it.

And the air that comes out is gentle, rather than the harsh
stuff from an air conditioner. But, we also have a small
air conditioner for fire season when you have to go on
internal air.