Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Comparison

dpb wrote:
On 7/26/2012 8:02 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

I agree that the HF blade is not better than a Forrest as a general
precept. That was not what I was trying to say.

Well, then, I certainly have no idea what specifically it was that you
_were_ trying to say...

You never proposed that something could have been suspect in the
comparison--either the blade, the saw, a combination to explain the
grossly unexpected results; only afaict a willingness to blindly
accept that a very inexpensive run-of-the-mill blade would outperform
an obviously flawed cut made w/ a blade from a recognized premium
industry leader...

You are correct. FWIW - I had just assumed that the Forrest must have been
defective. They have a great reputation, and to me, it is inarguable that
they are a quality product. Most of my thoughts in my responses, centered
around the suggestions that the saw must be out of tune - since that makes
no sense to me if one blade cuts fine and another does not.

I'll throw out one more war story as a _possible_ albeit unlikely
culprit -- many years ago I bought a matched pair of blades (not
Forrest but another of similar reputation and price point)
specifically to cut a bunch of tenons for a large project. The first
trial w/ them went very badly indeed and left a mark much like that
OP described on one side in particular.

Investigation (and not a terribly intense one ) uncovered the fact
that one of the two center holes was just a wee fraction small and
would (and did) not fit over the unthreaded portion of the arbor
shaft on the PM66 and so was cockeyed rather than resting flush
against the arbor mandrel face.

Whatever it was that happened in OP's case, _something_ caused that
blade to score agreed, but to draw a general conclusion from that one
cut is just not supported w/o additional data and followup.

Agreed. I did not try to draw any generalized conclusions - at least not
intentionally.

For example OP didn't report what he learned from Forrest when he
contacted them to get their input before deciding to return it. It
sounds like he was simply relieved he could justify getting the money
back that he really didn't want to spend to begin with...

Perhaps. From my experiences with other types of products that are in the
league of a Forrest blade, I would have expected Forrest to have offered to
somehow make good on the blade with (most likely...) a replacement.

--

-Mike-