Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking
mike mike is offline

Default Lets roll!

On 7/26/2012 4:26 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 16:01:48 -0700, wrote:

My hearing was damaged by the cowboy sitting next to me shooting.
I was hit by an ejected shell casing.
I wouldn't have been shot if the cowboy hadn't drawn fire.
The ambulance chaser talked me into joining the suit so I could get some
free $$$.
Everybody's glad they got out alive until the lawyers get in the act.

I don't believe you.

Your belief is not required.
An ejected HOT casing is not like or the same as
being "shot".

Agreed, but when the lawyers get through writing up the
claim, it's still injury for which YOU are at fault.

Who shot you? What report did the surgeon issue?

Don't matter who shot you. IF MY USE OF MY WEAPON caused
the perp to shoot you instead of someone else, I'd not like
to be in the defedant's chair.
You seem to be missing the point that you don't have to be
guilty of anything to be financially ruined or convicted and
go to jail. It's not about right or wrong. It's about politics
and media and 12 people. The outcome of your trial might depend
more on who got shot or who got elected in the time between
your incident and your trial.

How did this "cowboy" draw fire, exactly?

Muzzle flash in view of the perp.
Surely you can't be this dense???

Do you seriously think that average Joe fresh out of the
two hour training course it took to get the carry permit
is gonna pull his shiny new .380 with the 2" barrel
and take out a shooter
with body armor and automatic weapons from 100 feet away
in a darkened theater filled to capacity with people
screaming and running every which way?

Fear of unintended consequences is the primary reason I decided
not to carry a weapon.
I had myself convinced that I have no moral issues with killing
the perp dead! But it's not that simple.

Theater shootings are rare. It's more likely you'll be in
a more personal situation.

It takes a split second or two to assess the situation...
Is what I'm about to do sanctioned behavior in this jurisdiction?
Is the testimony likely to happen in court gonna support my actions?
At what point do I decide that the situation cannot be resolved
and pull the trigger?
Where is the bullet gonna go after it hits (or misses) the target?
Am I trading the loss of a few hundred bux for the probability of
being murdered by his gang buddies?
The answer to most of those questions is, "gee, I don't know."

And what if you're defending someone else?
Do you run away and be done with it?
Or do you stay at great personal risk and try to help?
"The kids were just asking me directions and that guy ran
up and shot one of 'em."

I came to the conclusion that, for me, a weapon would do more
harm than good. I believe that's the same conclusion most thoughtful
people would reach.

We really don't need a bunch of cowboys running around with guns
and an itchy trigger finger.

But, I'd still support the right to bear arms.
People with valid gun permits are not the ones that I worry about.