Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need help with replacement swamp cooler pump

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 17:13:43 -0500, wrote:

alt.recovery.from-12-stepsOn Thu, 26 Jul 2012 09:46:01 -0700, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

My swamp cooler (Champion RWC50)pump is taking long and longer
to start every morning. It is an Essick Air Product Model
CB-6600 rated at 8L/min.

Now 8 L/min makes sense. If I were to hook it up to a bucket, it
would pump about 8 liters in one minute.

So, I did an on line conversion for Cubic Foot per Minute (CFM).
I got 0.28 CFM. Makes sense.

So I go to
http://www.coolercenter.com/pumps.html and look
for a pump. I find things rated for 7500 CFM. Really?
You would pump an entire swimming pool in one minute?
Makes no sense at all.

What am I missing and which pump should I be getting?

Many thanks,
-T

p.s. tried calling and eMail the Cooler Center. No response.

What the hell is a swamp cooler?

It's also known as an "Evaporative Cooler". Basically, it's a humungo
low-speed fan that blows air through a wet pad. Evaporation removes heat from
the air, trading temperature for humidity. If the relative humidity is very
low, it works quite well. If the RH is even approaching 50%, forget it. They
work great in the desert, not so much in the SE.