Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Dark ages of architecture

On 7/26/12 7:36 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 19:06:39 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

On 7/26/12 7:00 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/26/12 6:29 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
Please define "McMansion". I see people deriding them all over but no
one can
define the term, other than "it's some house *I* don't like (usually for
unstated, possibly green-to-the-gills reasons)".

Wiki does a decent job of describing it.....

"In American suburban communities, McMansion is a pejorative for a type
of large, new luxury house which is judged to be incongruous for its
neighborhood. Alternately, a McMansion can be a large, new house in a
sub-division of similarly large houses, which all seem mass produced and
lacking distinguishing characteristics, as well as at variance with the
traditional local architecture.[1]"

and...

"The term "McMansion" is generally used to denote a new, or recent,
multi-story house of no clear architectural style,[8] with a notably
larger footprint than the existing houses in its neighborhood. It may
seem too large for its lot, closely abutting upon the property
boundaries and appearing to crowd adjacent homes. A McMansion is either
located in a newer, larger subdivision or replaces an existing, smaller
structure in an older neighborhood."

I found this image while goggling it. Comes from another critic.
Pretty funny....
http://xrl.us/mcmansion

That's pretty ugly, agreed, but hardly a definition. Just seems to me that
those using the term "McMansion" are just a little green. ...particularly
those who use derisive over-generalizations like;

"up to their eyeballs in debt, two paychecks away from bankruptcy,
because they are financing a bunch of stuff they don't want or need
to impress a bunch of people they don't like."

Over generalization? Not entirely. I live next to one of the richest
counties in the country. It also happens to be (was, perhaps) in the
top 10 counties for bankruptcies.

Really, why do you care what others have?

I don't. But I do care that so many people in this country are so far
in debt.
It affects all of us. It affect our economy, or have you forgotten 2008
already?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)