Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Dark ages of architecture

On 7/26/12 6:29 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
Please define "McMansion". I see people deriding them all over but no one can
define the term, other than "it's some house *I* don't like (usually for
unstated, possibly green-to-the-gills reasons)".

Wiki does a decent job of describing it.....

"In American suburban communities, McMansion is a pejorative for a type
of large, new luxury house which is judged to be incongruous for its
neighborhood. Alternately, a McMansion can be a large, new house in a
sub-division of similarly large houses, which all seem mass produced and
lacking distinguishing characteristics, as well as at variance with the
traditional local architecture.[1]"

and...

"The term "McMansion" is generally used to denote a new, or recent,
multi-story house of no clear architectural style,[8] with a notably
larger footprint than the existing houses in its neighborhood. It may
seem too large for its lot, closely abutting upon the property
boundaries and appearing to crowd adjacent homes. A McMansion is either
located in a newer, larger subdivision or replaces an existing, smaller
structure in an older neighborhood."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)