Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Dark ages of architecture

On 7/26/2012 3:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/26/12 3:24 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/26/2012 2:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/26/12 12:27 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

I guess what I'm saying is, at least it was a style or a step in the
evolution of a style.

All the McMansions around here look like someone bought home design
software for their PC and just started taking chunks of different
house samples they liked and assembled them together to make a big,
absurd, homogenized, stew-pot of architectural vomit.

I grew up in that era and we felt the same way about that architecture
back
then. Nothing has changed on that front except that people today look
backwards at things and like to think of them as somehow...
different. Not
so much.

Here's the deal. I studied architecture in college. Unfortunately,
though I studied enough to know that the style mixing I see is horribly
wrong, I didn't study enough to know how to properly explain it. :-)

Oh man! I hate it when someone self qualifies themselves with, I
studied that in college. LOL. I had an employee that pulled that on me
and he ended up eating crow every time he tried that. I don't care how
times or accounting procedures have changed you don't break sequence
when opening a new box of invoices. The one he was looking for was
actually on the next shelf up from where he pulled. Idiot! And he
"eventually" became a CPA.

Sounds like you stopped reading after my second sentence.
Did you miss the part where I clarified that I didn't study "enough?"
My only point was that I know enough to know that 4 or 5 mixed styles on
one house, on every house in the neighborhood, looks like ****.

No I saw it all, BUT I had a funny, well funny now, story to tell!!! ;~)