Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Motor question

Robert Macy wrote:

Interesting challange: how to 'stress' test for 'weakness' WITHOUT
destroying.

Run the rated AC current through it an monitor the temperature. That
will also have it at the maximum operating voltage.

I wonder if low energy HV would do it. At least IF a pinhole were
developing. the test would pop through, possibly without killing the
cap, then again, if the cap died while you're there testing it, maybe
that's better, since you're there and can replace it. Hmmm, rates up
there with the car mechanic who pulls on your radiator hose to tear it
loose to show you that your radiator hose is aged and will
break ...some day.

Why not just replace it if you think it's old enough to fail? I've
seen them with bad connections to the foil, and they arced until the
heat blew the terminal board off the end of the can. New caps should be
film, not oil & paper.

Rubber hoses are reinforced with cotton fiber. If the hose is so bad
that he can pull it apart, it's already defective.