Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Dark ages of architecture

On 7/26/12 2:45 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

Here's the deal. I studied architecture in college. Unfortunately,
though I studied enough to know that the style mixing I see is
horribly wrong, I didn't study enough to know how to properly explain
it. :-)

I can see where one might hold that opinion, but mixing styles has taken
places for longer than we're talking about. For hundreds of years -
thousands of years even. One might not like it, but to say that any college
could teach that it is wrong is only a reflection of a given professor's
view point.

For the record, I don't remember an instructor ever saying that... it's
my opinion.

You're a musician, right? Medleys are fun, occasionally, right? Like
when watching the Oscars or when an artist does one at the Grammys. But
let's say someone replaced all the music you like with medleys. Not just
of different songs, but different styles. Every song you
listened to was a medley of Heavy metal, classical, Broadway,
military march, big band, fusion, country, reggae, folk, polka, and
Gregorian chant. Every song. You couldn't listen to any one song in
one style. You could listen to an album in any one style by one
artist.

Agreed - but where I live, I see a mix of mixed architectures and those that
are true to a form.

That's how it is for me to drive through most new McMansion
subdivisions in any *affluent neighborhood.

Come on up - we'll have a beer and a few drives... Or a drive and a few
beers...

Like I said before, we'll have to include you in the next google+
hangout beer summit. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)