Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Dark ages of architecture

On 7/26/12 12:27 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

I guess what I'm saying is, at least it was a style or a step in the
evolution of a style.

All the McMansions around here look like someone bought home design
software for their PC and just started taking chunks of different
house samples they liked and assembled them together to make a big,
absurd, homogenized, stew-pot of architectural vomit.

I grew up in that era and we felt the same way about that architecture back
then. Nothing has changed on that front except that people today look
backwards at things and like to think of them as somehow... different. Not
so much.

Here's the deal. I studied architecture in college. Unfortunately,
though I studied enough to know that the style mixing I see is horribly
wrong, I didn't study enough to know how to properly explain it. :-)

You're a musician, right? Medleys are fun, occasionally, right? Like
when watching the Oscars or when an artist does one at the Grammys. But
let's say someone replaced all the music you like with medleys. Not
just of different songs, but different styles. Every song you listened
to was a medley of Heavy metal, classical, Broadway, military march, big
band, fusion, country, reggae, folk, polka, and Gregorian chant. Every
song. You couldn't listen to any one song in one style. You could
listen to an album in any one style by one artist.

That's how it is for me to drive through most new McMansion subdivisions
in any *affluent neighborhood.

(*affluent: up to their eyeballs in debt, two paychecks away from
bankruptcy, because they are financing a bunch of stuff they don't want
or need to impress a bunch of people they don't like.) :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--