Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default Comparison

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message

Some time ago I asked if any of you were in a position to try a comparison
between the Forrest WoodWorker II and the Harbor Frieght blade (SKU 46231)

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch...-bevel-design-
novelty-combo-blade-46231.html

Harbor Freight having the reputation they do for selling cheap tools, I
got
no takers, and was not overly surprised.

SWMBO, gave me a "US Grant" for Father's Day and I put it back in the
deepest recesses of the wallet. Finally, I decided to take the plunge and
buy a Forrest WoodWorker II (40tooth, 1/8" kerf). So shopping around I
found it on Amazon for $107.00 and hit the "Order" button. The package
arrived today and, of course, I had to check it out.

After peeling the protective coating off it, I mounted it in my Ridgid
3650
tablesaw and made a couple of test cuts. I stepped back, scratched my
head
and said, "Hmmmmmm." So, I got a fresh HF 46231, mounted it and made a
couple of test cuts. Then I remounted the Forrest WWII, got a 7/4 piece
of
Southern Red Oak and did an an crosscut and an rip cut. Swapped out the
Forrest for the HF blade and made the crosscut and rip on the other end
and
side of the same pieces of red oad.

Out of curiosity, was the board recently face jointed, thicknessed and edge
jointed? The tooth mark comment makes me think the board wasn't tracking
through the blade evenly.... or a splitter/riving knife was causing it to
torque as it was feeding due to the splitter/riving knife being out of
alignment.

John