Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Dark ages of architecture

On 7/26/2012 12:02 PM, MJ wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4235348.../set-721576222...

Sooo that's who to blame. I've been in more then one of these houses,
over time. One of my BFF's and her first husband had one of them
there split levels. My wife's sister and hubby had one of the
ranches that are too reminiscent of these plans. Ugly, ugly.

I'm waiting for the "This Old House" updates for one of these homes. I
can't wait
for Tommy or Norm talk about the cheap and lazy carpenter
work.

I doubt that ... most of those tract and custom plan houses built in the
fifties to mid sixties were well built with a skilled labor pool, if a
bit shy or room sizes and ammenities, and much of the framing lumber was
old growth and higher quality than today's plantation grown material.

Generally speaking it was in the 70's that developers/builders started
focusing on a less expensive to build product, cutting corners on
foundations, paint, siding, and wiring, and the labor pool had certainly
become less skilled.

There are plenty exceptions for either period though.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010