Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default PVC for dust collection, is it safe?

On 7/26/2012 11:02 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
jtpr wrote:

I asked a long time ago about duct work for DC in my shop, 2 years later
I'm finally ready to do it. I have a 1.5hp single stage collector and I
want to get the 4" hoses off the floor. I would really like to use 4" PVC
to do this as it is a whole lot easier, accessible, and cheaper. But what
about static? Is it really that unsafe? Can it be grounded? This is a
small shop, 20x20 and I will probably just be going to my table saw and
planer to start. If the PVC is really not safe, then what is wrong with
the 30 gauge metal stuff at HD? I can't believe I have the horsepower in
this machine to buckle it, but maybe I'm wrong. It's just that going to
Woodcraft for duct work is VERY expensive, and ordering online is a PITA
whenever I need something.

Thanks again for the input.

-Jim

Mythbusters did a show on trying to get enough static electricty off a
piecss of PVC pipe to cause an explosion. The listed it as "Thoroughly
Busted."

Deb

I would have thought the PVC would have only let off a spark rather than
being thoroughly busted.