Posted to rec.woodworking

Default PVC for dust collection, is it safe?

jtpr wrote in
:

I asked a long time ago about duct work for DC in my shop, 2 years
later I'm finally ready to do it. I have a 1.5hp single stage
collector and I want to get the 4" hoses off the floor. I would
really like to use 4" PVC to do this as it is a whole lot easier,
accessible, and cheaper. But what about static? Is it really that
unsafe? Can it be grounded? This is a small shop, 20x20 and I will
probably just be going to my table saw and planer to start. If the
PVC is really not safe, then what is wrong with the 30 gauge metal
stuff at HD? I can't believe I have the horsepower in this machine to
buckle it, but maybe I'm wrong. It's just that going to Woodcraft for
duct work is VERY expensive, and ordering online is a PITA whenever I
need something.

Thanks again for the input.

-Jim

Trying to stir up some discussion? We've talked about static from dust
collection quite a bit...

PVC has two basic issues: It can be brittle and the static is annoying.
Since the PVC will be on the suction side, if it does become brittle and
break, the pieces will be sucked into the collector. The static is only
dangerous if by virtue of a static shock you react and hit something.

Grounding PVC is done more for eliminating the annoyance factor than
anything else.

Some suggest going with 6" PVC for better flow, if your DC can handle it.
It's much harder to find in reasonably priced quantities, though.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.