Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ball Mills, Pyro, Explosives, Tannerite, etc...

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 19:38:17 -0500, Ignoramus20786

On 2012-07-25, RogerN wrote:

There is a maintenance technician job opening not to far away from me for an
explosives manufacturer. I meet or exceed all their qualifications except
one, explosives certification. So how could I get explosives certification
on my own, so I could qualify for the job?

On a related topic, I went to a nearby Rural King store and they had
Tannerite exploding targets. They are kind of pricey, $7.99 each (half
pound) or 29.99 for 4. So anyway, a little research on the internet and I
see a video of someone making exploding targets on youtube using instant
cold packs with ammonium nitrate and aluminum powder. So I checked at
Wal-Mart and found instant cold packs with the ingredients calcium ammonium
nitrate, $3 for a 2 pack, the guy on youtube used both packs for one target.
So I loaded some aluminum foil in my rock tumbler with steel balls as media,
should have a good quantity of German style dark aluminum powder in about a
week.

This stuff isn't supposed to be illegal as long as you're detonating it with
a high powered rifle, I guess where it's legal to shoot a rifle, it's legal
to have a target go boom. Would ammonium nitrate and diesel fuel work the
same, detonate with a rifle shot? Just wondering because I keep some diesel
around for the Kubota tractor/mower, sure would be easier than ball milling
aluminum.

So, just out of curiosity, would the ammonium nitrate combined with
aluminum, magnesium, fuel oil, gasoline, ???? be able to be detonated with a
firecracker or flash powder?

I'm not sure if the maintenance tech job for the explosives manufacturer
pays good enough to interest me, learning about explosives sounds kind of
fun though, big firecrackers! :-)

RogerN

Let us know how this ends up working, I am very curious.

Isn't this the extremely religious Roger you're talking to here, Ig?
In the world's experience, 'extremely religious types' and
'explosives' don't play well together with the rest of the world.
shudder

(Roger, if you're -not- the Jesus Freak I mistook you for, please
accept my apology. I don't want to be like ABC's Brian Ross.)

--
In the depth of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.