Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Trades people on the fiddle

Steve Firth wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:

A set of working clothes hardly amounts to much and only a few
trades, including lawyers can claim for working clothes. Tools
yes of course why should one not be able to offset tax against
these? Note that if at end of life any of these items are sold
then VAT, income tax and possibly CGT must be paid on the sale
value.

Sold?

Surely they just broke and you threw them away into the correct
recyle bin as repair was uneconomical:-)

That is indeed what happens to the majority of office equipment in my
business. If the government wants to encourage recycling they can
start by muzzling the VAT man and his desire to charge VAT on goods
given away.

Possibly not that easy with a tractor:-(.

Nor with any vehicle.

I was quite surprised that the charity shop took my old work clothes:-)

Thank god they went straight to the ragman and were not put up for sale.

--
Adam