Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tile for gas fireplace?

On Jul 23, 6:40*pm, "
wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 16:34:38 -0700, chaniarts
wrote:

On 7/23/2012 4:16 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 16:14:41 -0700, chaniarts
wrote:

It's certainly worth a try. *Thanks. *It's a real fireplace with gas logs, so
I doubt the surround is going to get all that hot.

the glass on my gas log fireplace is hot enough to cook on (as i learned
placing my hand against it after it was on for a couple of hours).

Sure, but try it with a roaring wood fire. *;-)

metal isn't a proper substrate for tile. the metal flexes and changes
size when heated and cooling, so almost nothing solid will stick tiles
to it. something flexible like high temp silicone might. mastic will
melt. you'll have to provide a proper substrate (brick, block, cement
board, etc) for this application.

Agreed. *Of course I didn't know what was under the tile until I fired it up.
My idea was to use Hardiebacker to cover the wall and metal fireplace, then
tile (stone, actually) over that. *Hardiebacker is rated for use on fireplaces
but I'd need to have about 1" exposed on the back side (towards the fire) to
get the tile to come out right.- Hide quoted text -

I used 5/8 sheetrock around my fireplace, a Preway prebuilt Heatolator
fireplace. I used 4 inch square tiles on the entire front except on
the metal front edge right around the glass doors, the black painted
metal shows about 1.5 inches around the glass doors and then the tile
begins. Send me you r e-mail and I'll send you a picture of what it
looks like. Nothing fancy, but it is 15 years old and nothing ever
happpened, and we have had many many fies in it over that time.