Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default I need to replace an AC adapter

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
On 07/23/12 12:06 pm, Guv Bob wrote:

I need to replace an AC adapter that went out. Original is 12V 225mA.
I have several 12V 1000mA. Any problem using 1000mA rated unti with 225mA machine?

1. It depends how good the regulation of the new one is: if the current
draw is significantly less than the 1000mA rated capacity, the voltage
may be significantly higher than 12v.

2. Be sure to check that the polarity is the same as the original: most
have the center contact as +ve, but the occasional one has the center contact as -ve.

Perce

Right, a really good transformer can have 10% regulation at rated full
current. A poor transformer can have over 30% drop in voltage from no load
to rated full.

Greg