Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tile for gas fireplace?

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 16:14:41 -0700, chaniarts
wrote:

On 7/23/2012 4:00 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 20:46:00 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob)
"
wrote:

On Jul 22, 4:13 pm, "
wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 12:38:07 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "

wrote:
On Jul 22, 10:58 am, "
wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 09:07:35 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

wrote in message

I have a gas log fireplace (metal prefab box) that had tile fireplace
opening.
The builder just tiled over the steel firebox (outside/front) and the
first
time we fired up the gas logs tiles came off (apparently mortar doesn't
stick
to steel very well ;-).

I want to tear it all out and replace the tile but I certainly don't want
this
to happen again. My first idea was to pull down the tile and cover
fireplace
opening (part of the wall between the mantle and firebox) with
Hardiebacker
before re tiling. To get things to come out right, about an inch of the
Hardiebacker will be exposed on the back side. Anyone see any issues with
this. Better ideas?

This is the sort of problem the US National Bureau of Standards began
investigating in the 1920s. Information is also on file at the Undewriters
Laboratory and other issuers of building standards.

Now there's a non-answer. Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Can you tell anything about the previously used mastic that failed???

It was mortar ("apparently mortar doesn't stick to steel very well"). It's
fine where it's stuck to (presumably) wall board. The first time I fired it
up, with the gas logs in it, the tiles popped off as it cooled. There is
obviously a thermal expansion problem between the steel fireplace and the tile
(actually tumbled marble, I think). I was planning on putting natural stone
(some sort of quartz) back up there.

Have you talked about this at a local tile store or maybe a fireplace
store?

Haven't yet but it's a good idea. I hate wasting their (fireplace store) time
since it's unlikely they'll get a sale from this.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, but if they give you good information, you can tell other folks
how good they are and maybe they will have more sales, so unless they
are busy, not likely this time of year, they should be willing to help
you out.

It's certainly worth a try. Thanks. It's a real fireplace with gas logs, so
I doubt the surround is going to get all that hot.

the glass on my gas log fireplace is hot enough to cook on (as i learned
placing my hand against it after it was on for a couple of hours).

Sure, but try it with a roaring wood fire. ;-)