Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike mike is offline

Default AC Adapter

On 7/23/2012 9:05 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
I need to replace an AC adapter that went out. Original is 12V 225mA. I have several 12V 1000mA. Any problem using 1000mA rated unti with 225mA machine?

Based on your question, the short answer is NO!

The longer answer is....
What is a machine?
sewing machine?
machine gun?
gumball machine?
Pinball machine?

Replacing an AC adapter with ANY DIFFERENT AC adapter
often works...except when it doesn't.
There are many subtle differences that CAN matter.

The fact that you asked the question suggests that you
don't understand those subtle differences.

Cheap devices are carefully designed to balance the
output of the supplied adapter against the needs of the device.
Are batteries being charged?

More expensive devices are often more robust, but I once
had a $2000 Compaq laptop computer that used the current
limit in the ac adapter to set the battery charge current.
BAD DESIGN, but there it was. Using a different adapter
was a disaster...ask me how I know.

Nobody can help you decide without more information.
Any advice you get based on your supplied info was made
by someone guessing.