Posted to alt.home.repair
Tomsic[_3_] Tomsic[_3_] is offline

Default Using the old "White" 12-2 Romex

wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 15:05:00 -0400, wrote:

I don't see where it would make any difference. Even when the newer NM
cable was made with conductors rated higher than 60 degrees, the NEC
only allowed the higher ampacity ratings to be used for de-rating
purposes, so all NM regardless of conductor type has to be used at the
60 degree ampacity rating

But the insulation is good for use in pot-lights etc where the 90C
wiring was a requirement even years ago - now you use one cable
everywhere #14 is required. I think the old stuff was called R-90???

The irony of this is that about the time they finally have required 90C
cable, most light fixtures now use CFL bulbs, which operate very cool
compared to the incandescent bulbs.

I've seen many boxes where the old cloth covered cable, and even some of
the newer cable was all bare wires because the old fixtures literally
baked the wires because they did not allow the heat to exit the fixture.

As our lighting changes to more energy efficient (and cooler) bulbs, I
suppose there will be more changes in wiring. Yet, some people will
still run "Hot" bulbs such as incandescents, and halogens are even
hotter. Then too, people dont always follow instructions. Just because
a fixture says 60W (or smaller) bulbs ONLY does not mean they will
follow it, particularly when all they have on hand is a 100W bulb. Not
to mention many people dont read. Just like the old plug fuses. It was
more common than not, to replace a blown 15A or 20A fuse with a 30A. If
they had made 100A fuses that fit the socket, they would have used them.

Sometimes I think the electrical code is too strict and sometimes even
rediculous, but I guess they have to be in order to protect us from
idiot people who cant or wont follow instructions, or who just dont know
or care.

Good comments. GFCI and AFCI devices can keep people from electrocuting
themselves and starting fires from poor wiring practices and faulty
connections; but something bad will eventually happen when a high-wattage
bulb is put into a socket rated for somthing less. It's unfortunate that
the only safety "enforcement" is often a printed sticker on the light
fixture that discolors or falls off rather than a physical barrier such as a
socket designed such that the wrong bulb won't even go into the socket.

Much of the blame belongs to the industry which has done little to nothing
to educate consumers about lighting and electrical matters for years.
There's more general information now because of the bulb phase-out, but
still very little about safety.

Tomsic