Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Sagging Door (was "How difficult to "build" a Door") III

dpb wrote:
On 7/22/2012 8:42 AM, dadiOH wrote:

As I've said at least twice before, fumed silica (Cabosil/Aerosil),
micro balloons, talc, wood dust, etc. I use Cabosil mostly.
http://www.uscomposites.com/fillers.html

OK, "inquiring minds" and all that...

What do you do that uses such stuff regularly?

I don't use it regularly, just from time to time.

I built a stitch & glue pram a few years ago, needed Cabosil to thicken
epoxy for fillets and other purposes, had some left over. Since then I have
used it a few times one instance being when I cut a complicated piece of
molding incorrectly. Easy to put it back together so I could re-cut. There
have been other times too, don't recall the details.

Epoxy is also great when you have something that is difficult to clamp since
the parts only need to be stationary, not clamped.

Basically, a jug of epoxy, some Cabosil and some talc are handy things to
have around. The talc makes a great grain filler...mix it with a binder
such as poly or lacquer, let it dry and it will sand very easily to baby ass
smooth. Less binder/more talc is good as a glazing putty for deeper areas,
same thing as many automotive glazing putties at $10-$15 per tube.

Stitch & glue explanation...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stitch_and_glue

--

dadiOH

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net