Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Why are Bug Zapper bulbs blacklights?

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

As for being worthless, it is worse than worthless. It drew more
bugs to the nearby house than with no light to zap them.

the propane powered bug zappers are recommended to be placed away from
where you plan to congregate. they draw the bugs away from your people,and
zap them out there. (the propane is to make CO2,the attractant.)

I hung one on my detached garage figuring it would keep bugs away from
the door screen. Instead of about 3 to 5 bugs on the screen, there
would be 15 that chose the house light over the bug zapper. It
attracted them from the woods more than house lights. Big ass beetles
and moths. They do nothing for mosquitoes.

what attracts mosquitoes is carbon dioxide,that you exhale.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik