Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using the old "White" 12-2 Romex

On 7/21/2012 1:49 PM, wrote:
I recently bought a roll of the old "White" 12-2 w/ground romex at an
auction. The price was right and electrically the color dont matter.
The stuff is new and in excellent condition.

I dont recall when the change occurred which made 12-2 romex yellow, but
I believe it was near the end of the 1990's. Therefore this roll of
"white" must be at least 12 years old.

Considering that I'm using it in a farm shed which will not require
inspection, I'm not worried about the code. However, I'm curious if
this stuff would still be legal to use in a new installation for
residential work which would be inspected? I know there's probably
still a fair amount of this stuff around. Does anyone know what the
code says about this?

Yea, the thought has occurred to take a yellow permanent marker and at
least color the ends!!!!

By the way, when are they going to come out with designer colors on
romex? I'd like some dark brown to match my walnut paneling, some red
for the trim around the fireplace, and some light violet for the
bathroom. And what about those blue plastic boxes. I want my choice of
designer colors too. That dark blue dont match anything in the
house.......... (just kidding).

Speaking about designer colors, I just bought my first bag of matching
yellow romex staples. Until now, they were always white. This ought to
make this a much better world, except now I cant use the same ones on
white 14-2 romex, and wil have to buy a bag of white ones even if they
are the exact same size.......

The yellow is manufactured in China by yellow skinned people. ^_^

TDD