Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT The Olympic Games

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 23:01:38 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Hmm, well, I nearly got involved with blind archery, but all that pulling
back of the bow did my elbow in.

It can have it's 'costs' that's for sure.

I guess most of the activities (I wouldn't call them 'sort; in my
usage) I typically get involved in revolve around using 'kit'. And
that is really part of the appeal, using a machine or vessel to do
what I want.

Years and years ago Dad signed a mate and I up for an open regatta on
Oulton Broad and to my surprise we came 3rd out of a very mixed fleet
of about 30 boats. However, whilst it was ok, I much prefer actually
going from A to B by sail, rather than just racing round in circles.
;-)

But then it does seem to be the nature of some humans to want to
*******ise everything, turning what should be transport into a race.

I've never been interested in racing full size bikes / boats / cars /
cycles', however, I have done a fair bit of RC car and boat racing (I
was even a sponsored driver for a couple of seasons) because I was the
owner, driver and pit crew. ;-)

When I was racing RC cars (the second time around, when racing with
our daughter), most of my time was spent helping those kids who were
just dumped off at the track by their parents who were using it like a
creche. They neither had tools nor the skills to use them so it was
nice to be able to help and show / advise them how they could help
themselves.

Cheers, T i m