Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roofing prices

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 11:43:57 -0700 (PDT), bob haller wrote:

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 1:28:52 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 12:54:28 -0400, Frank >
wrote:

>On 7/21/2012 10:40 AM, Rebel1 wrote:
>> On 7/20/2012 9:36 PM, Pat wrote:
>>> I did my roof myself with the help of my son and my girlfriend. Took
>>> two days. Cost about $750 for materials. I am 63. I carried the
>>> material up the ladder to the roof. Roofers like to take shortcuts.
>>> They only have to stand behind their work for a year. I'll still own
>>> the home in 20 years. The guarrantee on the roofing probably doesn't
>>> matter much. Installing it correctly as per the manufacturers
>>> directions matters a lot. You are talking to sales men. The people
>>> doing the work will only care about fast not quality. A badly installed
>>> roof usually performs fine for a year or two or five.
>>
>> The project involves removal and disposal of two old layers. At age 74,
>> I'm not up to that, plus my back would protest at the weight of just a
>> single bundle of new shingles (73 pounds, and I need 102 bundles to
>> cover 3400 square feet). The salesman at Company C is also the owner of
>> the family business, located about four miles from my home.
>>
>> Companies B and C are both BBB members. Companies A and C are right in
>> my hometown and have been around a long time. Company B is local; I
>> don't know how long they've been in business.
>>
>> R1
>>

>I'm about your age and one of the things I've stopped doing is climbing
>on the roof

I stopped climbing on the roof when the pitch went over 8:12 (the one above me
is 15:12). ;-)

I don't like climbing on roofs either, though I did get on the back porch roof
to replace some soffit vents that popped out. The rest I was able to get to
with a ladder.

I am 55 and dont enjoy climbing, worse i now have a bad knee from a fall on my sidewalk, and its getting worse

I'll be 60 in a couple of months. I have two bad knees and two worse
feet/ankles (mildish RA). I don't like climbing either but what ya' gonna do?
Although I am sure its a mixed bag there MAY be advantages to contracting

with home depot or lowes for a roof. even if a problem shows up years later
they will still be around

I'm certainly not going to do a roof again. They earn their money. I don't
think I'd go with Lowes or Home Depot, either. I see Sears does roofs. ;-)

although i have had some roof work done by a friend who is a roofing pro and a nearby neighbor.. i trust him, and watched him add a 2nd story to his home. It turned out great....

That seems to be the best option.