Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default drop cord length

"Don Phillipson" wrote in
:

"Frank Thompson" wrote in message
.
..

I've heard that there is a limited to the distance that a drop cord
for power equipment can be used. Beyond that limit there is risk to
damage the equipment being used. If this is true, what is this
length? My guess is that it depends on the
rating of the drop cord. Is there a source where I can determine
what size cord is safe at what distance?

The practical limit is indicated by heat, as the cord or plugs
warm up to a dangerous level. The technical parameters are
probably documented in a fire safety code, based on research
(beginning 50 or 75 years ago) at the national research laboratory
of the country in which you live (e.g. US National Bureau of
Standards.) Most countries also have a specialized electrical safety
code.

Practical? This is the Internet ya know. Why cloud things practical?

Maybe the rules are different in Canada.

:-)