Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man Puddin' Man is offline

Default Sagging Door (was "How difficult to "build" a Door") III

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 19:45:36 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

It would help lessen the confusion if you stopped calling it
a warp. The wood is not actually warped, is it? Or is it?
It appears from the photos that what you have is actually
wood that is straight, but the problem is when the joint is
brought together with the dowels, the pieces do not align
straight because the dowels won't allow it.

That appears to be substantially correct.

OK. I'll just call it the mis-alignment. :-)

If that is the case, I'd bore out the dowel holes so that
there is enough play so that it will align straight. Then
I'd use epoxy or weatherproof glue to put it together.
The new dowels and the epoxy will hold it all together.
Assuming of course that you have gotten down to
wood that is sound and not rotten.

The wood is somewhat deteriorated, not rotten.

I'd rather have the joint "tight but off a little" than
"aligned but subject to break loose".

However, I will badly need an adhesive with the 'longest possible'
setup time, because this will be a Royal Bitch of a glueup.
Is that epoxy, or is it one of the waterproof exterior glues?

Thx,