Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Rotary airless paint sprayer?

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 09:31:56 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

On Jul 20, 3:03Â*pm, Winston wrote:
I've got a stunningly bad track record with paint sprayers. They
generally clog up almost instantly and just fail to perform a minimal
job because I spend all my time cleaning.

I've got some very thick latex to apply now in a closet and I'm looking
for a completely clogless sprayer. I remember this thing called a Power
Master Airless Electric Paint Sprayer by Electro Engineering Products
Co, which flung the paint radially out of a slot in the front:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Master...Paint-Sprayer-
Model-4000-EE-Electro-Paint-Gun-/380455551823?
pt=Paint_Paint_Supplies&hash=item5894eb034f

I remember my sainted father borrowed one and painted our full basement
with thick sealer without any problem at all.

I understand that the company closed after an inDuhvidual attempted to
use it to spray flammable solvent and it 'flammabled'.

A cursory search of the 'net did not reveal any replacement products.
Can you recommend a currently produced brand?

Thanks!

--Winston

I used a Wagner Power Painter before. The kind that sprays similar to a
professional painter and has a tank on the top of the motor/pump
assembley for paint. I never had much issue as long as I poured the
paint through a filter into the painter after mixing. I didn't like it
much though because it seems to use twice as much paint as other power
painters.

Now I have a Spray Tech with the pickup tube that goes right into a five
gallon bucket. I have filter bags that go over the pickup tube, and
again. No real problems with it. It also does a good job of covering
and uses less paint than the Wagner by an order of magnitude. I got the
Spray Tech as a factory recon unit for about $175 a few years ago. Its
not bad for personal use, but if I was going to do large jobs or use it
everyday, I'ld probably spring for the big chunk of cash for a Graco.

The key is you need to filter the clumps and skins no matter how well
you mix it. Latex IS hard to spray. You may still get some clogs. On
my Spray tech I just reverse the nozzle and shoot the clog out into the
drop cloth. Once in while I may need to pull the nozzle, but they come
out in seconds and go right back in as easily.

The other big deal, is taking care of your sprayer. You need to run a
LOT of water through it when you are done to thoroughly clean it out,
and then you need to fill the pump with seperating oil. If you don't
you will have a horrible time taking it apart and cleaning it before you
can use it again.

Yup. The C-H airless I gave away was like that.
It worked Okay, though priming was always an exercise.

--Winston