Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default TV Back-light Spark Gap?

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 19:01:16 -0700, the renowned Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 18:41:05 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 14:32:50 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

No, he just spends too much time on the repair newsgroup.

True. The problem is that there currently aren't many interesting
repair related topics in the repair newsgroups. So, I thought I would
come over to the design group, where the problems are created.
If I can't be part of the solution, I might as well become part of the
problem.

I doubt many of the engineers here design consumer electronics.

Yep. Much of that has been exported to China. Kinda depressing.

Here's the list of American TV manufacturers:
http://www.americansworking.com/tvs.html

That used to be common in the communist and probably still is in 3rd
world countries where tariffs and other barriers are high- a
manufacturer would ship CKD or SKD 'kits' to the target market and the
final assembly would take place. Of course the cost was higher, the
quality usually also much lower than the originals, but there were
some jobs for locals created.

This looks like pretty much the same thing- it definitely does not
meet the standard for "Made" in USA. But they can print big flags on
the boxes.

"The components will still be made in China for now, with the hope
that in time they too will be made in America." I'd be willing to bet
that "components" include fully populated and tested PCBs, wire
harnesses and such like. It's a bit sad.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany