Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - When does a rental car become a stolen vehicle?

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 12:41:39 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

You can't file a stolen car report until you know the car was stolen.

If I'm sleeping and someone steals my car from my driveway and has an
accident, I wouldn't have known to report the car stolen until after I
get the call that my car was involved in an accident. At that point
the stolen car report could be made. I don't see why that would be any
different with a rental agency.

Daughter's boyfriend got a call 4 montha ago from the local Law
Enforcement Agency - "do you own a 2005 Chrysler 300?"
He said yes. They asked where it was. He said on the driveway. They
said "You better check". It wasn't there. It was found in an adjoining
city, wrecked and burning. He had both sets of keys

He had made the mistake of dealing with a BANK instead of an insurance
company for his insurance. He had full coverage, babied the car - it
was like brand new- and they are still dragging their feet about
paying. They have both police departments chasing their tails
investigating - sounds like they are trying to prove he HAD it stolen,
or wrecked and burned it himself. At any rate, they are trying REAL
HARD to get out of paying for the loss!!!

Meanwhile he's still making car payments (different bank than the
company insuring it) and he's driving my wife's old car which we were
going to scrap when we bought her latest one - a few weeks after his
loss. He paid for renewing the plates, and is covering our out of
pocket insurance costs - my daughter being an insurance broker we made
sure he is on as the primary driver.

He'll deal with a broker next time!!!
Their website does have this in their FAQ:

"Additional driver not signed on contract.

What if I just allow them to drive without adding them on the
contract?

Failure to add someone on the contract could result in the car being
impounded if stopped by the police."

Maybe that's just fluff, or maybe the police really could impound the
car, for which they must have a legal reason.