Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Putting down floating floor on horrible subfloor

On Jul 20, 12:43*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:[color=blue][i]
On Jul 20, 8:06*am, Mark Bolton
wrote:

hr(bob) [email Wrote:

[/email];2894997]On Jul 19, 4:15*pm, Mark Bolton

wrote:

You will have to put up cross-bracing between the joists at an
absolute minimum. *Probably the best thing to do is to sister new
joists along side the original joists, but doing this only after
jacking up the oriiginal joists to somewhat highr than perfectly
horizointal and then putting in the sistering. *You may have to put in
both the sistering and the cross-joists if you want a really stiff and
level floor. The only other possibility is to put in a new heavy-duty
joist/beam cross-wise under the lowest point of the sagging joists and
then jacking up the new beam somehow until the floors are level. *You
may have to do this separately for each room, depending on the floor
joist pattern. *Glad this is not my house.

Sister Joisting the floor level is what I have been considering. *What
is the correct technique for this? *Can I just scab a 2x4 or 2x6 on to
the joist and raise it up?

What do you mean when you say jack it up from the underside? *There is
no getting to bottom of the joists, it is in a second story.

Thanks for all the replys. I convinced myself last night that it needs
to be fixed correctly, once and for all. *If anyone could let me know
the correct way to do this I would be grateful.

--
Mark Bolton- Hide quoted text -

Sorry about jacking it up, your OP didn't say it was a second floor.
But, you could still jack it up if you spread the top of the jack out
using several increasingly large pieces of wood on the top of the jack
so you don't apply the jacking force all in one place but rather
spread it out over a few square feet.- Hide quoted text -

Of course, you would need to consider how much jacking is needed and
determine how long it will take to jack it up the entire distance.

If you try to raise the ceiling a 1/2" in 15 minutes, odds are that
you are going to crack something such as drywall seams either in the
field or along the wall/ceiling junction.

On the other hand, a few drywall crack repairs will be child's play
compared to everything else you are about to do. ;-)