Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sagging Door (was "How difficult to "build" a Door") III

On Jul 20, 12:08*pm, dpb wrote:
On 7/20/2012 10:03 AM, wrote: On Jul 19, 8:14 pm, *wrote:

... It probably got the way it is because you racked it when clamping.

That's what I was wondering too. *Is that piece really warped?
Or is it how it's joining that's creating a tilt? *If it's the
latter with maybe some shims put in and correctly clamping it,
it would seem to me he could get it back to being straight.

And like you say, hope he hasn't glued it.

But there are other unknowns here too. *Like the condtion
of the wood in question. *Only so much you can tell from
pics....

No clamps in sight altho he may have used one to pull it in initially.

Pretty clearly imo it's just hanging there because the dowels aren't
fully tight in the holes--he's indicated that because of his
inexperience in doing such stuff he's been reluctant to just dive in and
do a widespread replacement to date so he's just pushed it back together
as it came apart without yet doing the rest of the necessary restoration
work to get a solid joint.

The worrisome part isn't that it isn't in line at this point (and it
isn't a "warp" it's just loose and drooping; if he were to clamp it it
would draw up into place against the opposing coping surfaces) it's that
there's nothing at the present sufficiently tight to glue together.

--

I agree with all of the above. Puddin is calling it a warp, but
from the pics I agree with your assessment. If we were there,