Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jaynews@verizon.net is offline

Default Single handle Watts Laundry valve developed stem leak, Is runningin midway position the cause?

I don't see what the point is of opening the valve half
way to reduce water flow is. * For most of the water use,
the washer is going to fill up to the set fill level whether
it takes 3 mins or 30 mins. * The only time a half open
valve would make a difference is during the beginning
of the rinse cycle, when it spins and sprays fresh water
before filling for the rinse cycle. *That is to get rid of any
foam and displace the water in the clothes with clean
water. * So, I'd want the water to be coming in fast,
not slow. *It doesn't amount to much water, its only
a few intermittent sprays.

Since the washer shuts the water off abruptly, having the valve open
half way means there is less of a shock to the pipes, etc., due to the
abrubt water shutoff. That is the only reason for the valve to be
opened less than all the way.

J.