Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Motor question

Robert Macy wrote:

However, I contracted with this firm to come out and CHECK my units at
a fixed price. Words mean something. "Check my units at $49.95 cost."
is exactly that. And, if this component does fail as often as claimed

No, in general, I don't think the run caps are any more failure-prone
than any other part. I have had exactly ONE run cap blow in 40 years.
I have had a number of other things fail over that time. Also, if the cap
is not blown open like a grenade, exactly HOW do you check it? Probably
any time up to a minute before exploding, no test that won't harm it
will detect a unit nearing failure.

Jon