Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default solder won't come out of hole

"Jamie" wrote in message ...

Ian Field wrote:

"Jamie" wrote in message ...

Chas wrote:

"Jamie" t wrote in
message ...

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

For the past couple of hours I've been trying to get the solder out of
a hole. It's a mobo cap, and the other hole sucked right out. It's
like an obstruction. The solder melts with difficulty, but even then I
can't get a dental pick as deep as in the other hole. The cap pulled
out easily on both leads.

If you have some indium base solder or old leaded solder, reflow it with
that, then suck it out..
Also, I've used my hot air wand to clear the holes.

Jamie

Carefully drill the solder out with a PCB drill slightly smaller than the
hole.

you must be careful to not remove the vias conductor when doing so.

Jamie

***Easier said than done!

I have a tip I made for my Hot air wand that has a hypodermic needle on
it. I heat it up and hit the air switch and push it through the hole.

Jamie..

***Many years ago I made an SMD harvesting machine out of a portable LPG
heater and an old fridge compressor.

***The copper pipe was coiled and stuffed behind the guard on the heater,
right in front of the burners. A carburetor jet was peened into the end of
the copper pipe to produce a fierce jet of very hot air.

***A cardboard box on its side opposite the nozzle caught most of the low
flying SMDs, but I had to abandon it because it was just too hot sitting so
close to the heater.