Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Single handle Watts Laundry valve developed stem leak, Is runningin midway position the cause?

On Jul 19, 10:36*pm, wrote:
To be clear, the old valve still leaked tonight even when turning it
all the way on after it started leaking. *It would only stop leaking
altogether when shut off. *I'm just wondering if running it in the
midway position helped cause the leak and I'm better off leaving it
all the way on when doing the laundry.

Jay

Putting the valve halfway on would reduce the flow, but not the
pressure when the washing machine was off. Now that yhou have a
pressure reducing valve at the house entrance, there is no reason not
to turn the water all the way on when using the washing machine. But,
after 52 x 5 uses, the valve should not have failed if the water was
totally "clean". Do you have some grit/sand in the water that would
have caused the smooth surface to become roughened?